I enjoyed reading this chapter, it does seem to be a complex subject and as I have gone through and planned how I will be wording this post I have caught myself wondering how strong of a grasp that I have on the subject. Sampson's collective efficacy theory is described as social cohesion and shared expectations of control. So essentially there should be desirable shared norms and rules within a community and the establishment of these norms will give people perspective of a degree of trust and shared expectations that exist in that community regardless of their involvement, giving people a mutual perspective on their community.
I found an article in The Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquenc, written by Lorraine Mazerolle, Rebecca Wickes, and James McBroom, titled Community Variations in Violence: The Role of Social Ties and Collective Efficacy in Comparative Context. It was published in 2009 and the study contains a survey performed of nearly 2,859 people from 82 different communities In Brisbane Australia
The authors embrace Sampson's theory of collective efficacy and "how contemporary communities can function and prosper with minimal crime problems yet without the types of social ties that have, in years gone by, served as the foundation to civic society." They recommend having a measure of social relationships and community based crime prevention programs.
Sampson sent out surveys with the following questions and this is how I feel that my neighborhood would respond.
Children Skipping School: I can honestly say that I think that my neighbors and people in the area would not hesitate to ask what kids would be up to. I could also see neighbors not letting kids "hanging around on a corner" without finding out what they might be up to.
Graffiti: Kids were spotted spraying graffiti on a building, I don't think that there would be a bit of hesitation to intervene or call the police.
Disrespect: This one is tricky, there is so much disrespect in society today. One of the traits that this current (youth) generation possesses is a sense of entitlement for no apparent reason. They seem to feel that they deserve stuff and along with that they lack respect for others. (I will call that my crotchety old man moment) Although, I think most would disapprove I think few would take an active approach. I live in a neighborhood where most people are pretty passive and unfortunately I don't know if just disrespect would be enough to get people out of their comfort zone and say something.
Fight: I would assume that most people in my neighborhood would call the police and not intervene personally. I also think that it would be a situational thing, if it were two youth going at it then I think that the police would be called to intervene but if it were someone picking on a weaker kid or an elderly person then I think that would be enough to get someone involved.
Fire/Budget Cuts: I live in a pretty generous neighborhood and I can see people in the community coming to the aid of a less fortunate person or organization. I have seen my community active in raising funds for a cause. I know that for myself personally, I would expect to see that and also be involved.
No comments:
Post a Comment