I found this chapter very interesting, it took me quite a bit longer to read than the previous ones but I found it extremely informative. When I read the quote by Ralph Ellison "When they approach me they only see my surroundings, themselves or figments of their imagination- indeed, anything and everything except me."
I thought for sure that this chapter was going to be a one sided argument of how people are products of their environment and circumstance. I found that as I read that Sampson really only agrees with a small part of the "Broken Windows" theory. While Wilson and Keller argue that incivilities like graffiti and public drinking attract predatory crime because it shows that neighbors are unwilling to confront strangers or call the police giving predatory criminals the green light to go about causing harm, essentially creating an environment where crime causes crime and it becomes contagious.
From my understanding, Sampson was more concerned with the perception of disorder, I found it fascinating the idea that signs of disorders in one area would not be noticed in another area it basically comes down to context.
It was fascinating but something that I wouldn't consider to be a new idea that perceived disorder increases with increased ratios of black or immigrant within a neighborhood Sampson's research reveals that blacks and immigrants also have perceived higher levels of disorder in their neighborhoods. I would be lying if that had not already been a perception of mine. I have worked in a lot of major cities which include: Chicago, New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, San Diego and of course Las Vegas. I have been to plenty of neighborhoods and had the opportunity to interact with people from all different walks of life and in some of the neighborhoods where I felt a bit less safe I was often the minority. At the same time, I have met some of the friendliest and kind people in those same neighborhoods but even they were quick to give advice on where and where not to go in those neighborhoods and of course when.
The article that I found was written by Albert Hunter from Northwestern University and is titled: Symbols of Incivility: Social Disorder and Fear of Crime in Urban Neighborhoods. There were a lot of similarities between Hunter and Sampson. They are both using Chicago neighborhoods as the focus of their study and they both talk a lot about perception. one thing that I do like that Hunter talks about is that It is not necessarily the state to maintain social order. Although police perform a valuable service and function, it is not them that are going to change a neighborhood. Hunter argues that wholesome interaction will make that change.
Here is the article if you are interested in reading it.
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/82421.pdf
No comments:
Post a Comment