I am studying integrated studies and my areas of emphasis are business and Spanish. My hopes and aspirations are to go on and pursue a masters degree in international business. I have always been fond of learning about other cultures outside of my own and I had the opportunity to learn more about south America when I served a church mission in Peru. I enjoyed it so much and when I came home I had the chance to move back down to Honduras to help in setting up an orphanage with an organization called Amigos of Honduras. I was there for around 6 months but I loved learning more about south American cultures.
The world seems to be getting smaller and smaller with advances in technology in 2 areas: transportation and communication. Globalization plays a large part in today global economy and in my areas of emphasis it plays a large part in what I am studying. To be successful in the global community it is important to learn about and understand different cultures and how they communicate.
For any business to be successful, all parties involved need to know how to communicate effectively with one another. This does include writing style and proper document construction, Retha Kilpatrick takes a survey of a hundred major international businesses and discusses the communication practices that each business uses and how they differ from language to language.
Kilpatrick, Retha H. "International Business Communication Practices." Journal of Business Communication 21.4 (1984): 33-44. Print.
Continuing with the communication aspect of business, it is important to know cultures of the people that you are communicating with, especially if you want to avoid possibly offending them or turning them off from your business.
Rosenbloom, B. "Communication in International Business-to-Business Marketing Channels does Culture Matter?" Industrial Marketing Management 32.4 (2003): 309-15. Print.
In my spanish classes there always seems to be one common factor. No matter what subject it seems like we keep revisiting the topic of globalization, I even took a class that focused solely on that. We studied a book called The Lexus and the Olive Tree, its topic is globalization and how the world through technology has become increasingly smaller. I found some articles on different perspectives of globalization from the latin american point of view.
Ronaldo Munck. "Globalization." Latin American Perspectives29.6 (2002): 24. Print.
There are many different opinions over globalization, some think that it is the root of all evil and what ultimately caused the financial collapse while others look at is as a way for developing countries to get a leg up and gain some much needed momentum in todays global economy but no matter what your opinion is on the matter the one thing that Moises Naim discusses is that it is here to stay.
Moisés Naím. "Globalization." Foreign Policy.171 (2009): 28. Print.
I think that my two topics can be integrated very easily and in a way I am still studying community, and how we communicate with each other.
No comments:
Post a Comment