This is an interesting chapter, Sampson is discussing mobility and how the many different ways that people migrate in, out, and within neighborhoods. He of course does discuss or mention on a couple different occasions the "racial and ethnic hierarchy". This hierarchy unfortunately exists and apparently has a lot to say about why people move in and out of neighborhoods.
From what I can gather from this chapter and comparing that to what I have learned and observed about people throughout my life (which at times I question how much I really know about the world and its people) I think that people for the most part are constantly trying to improve their situation. There is always a desire for more or something different; after all, isn't the grass always greener on the other side of the fence? There is also the race factor, Sampson discusses the "white and latino flight" Apparently, whites and latinos are more susceptible to move neighborhoods partially based on the racial composition of that neighborhood.
There does seem to be a strong correlation between average income and moving neighborhoods. Sampson surveyed people who moved and compared their new income vs income of their place of origin. The outcome is a substantial gain for those moving: Whites gained the most, latinos second and African Americans third.
This chapter got my attention, I am studying business and Spanish and while studying the Spanish language I also study latino culture. It has been interesting to see the evolution of the ethnic and racial hierarchy and to see the gains that latinos have made over the years. Even though I do find it tragic that there is vast inequality in our nation it is good to see that with progress of technology and communication the playing field is being leveled out to some degree.
As far as change goes, Sampson states towards the end of the chapter that "the racial and economic hierarchy of neighborhoods is highly durable" I would tend to agree with him, I'm sure that there are circumstances that people moving in or out of a neighborhood can affect that neighborhood, lets face it, I think that most of us have either had a neighbor that has affected us in a positive or negative way before but as to transform a community that they are leaving or entering? I would say that not many have such a large impact on a large group of people.
No comments:
Post a Comment